Phase 1: Apply
Phase 2: Assess
In this phase, there will be an initial Skype interview with Eric Metcalf, NewThing Leadership Residency Director, to assess the relationship between the planter and NewThing. If determined there is value in both parties moving forward, the next step will be an interview with a NewThing Church or Network Leader.
Through this assessment phase, we are looking at numerous factors, but will primarily focus on 4 key areas:
- Chemistry: Are we a good fit for one another?
- Competency: Does the planter have what it takes to plant a church?
- Character: Is Jesus Lord of every aspect of the planter's life?
- Calling: Does the planter have a longing to be in a particular place to reach a particular group of people?
Phase 3: Activate
Depending upon the planter’s timeline, this phase would include one of 2 paths:
1. Becoming a Leadership Resident
2. Getting connected to a NewThing Network
Our bias is always the Leadership Residency; a high-level apprenticeship, that teaches the planter reproducing DNA, church planting skills and high level leadership principles.
Due to some planter’s timelines, we are open to the next best option, which is connecting a planter with a network. Our networks are led by NewThing church planters who have proven to be reproducing leaders. We believe getting a church planter connected to a network is one of the most important things we can do (read more about reproducing networks in Exponential, by Dave and Jon Ferguson).