NEW Network | James Griffin
I first met Dave Ferguson in 2013 during Exponential. A mutual friend of ours arranged for us to have dinner, and we shared dreams of what we hoped to see God do in and through the “big C” Church. As I listened to Dave share his heart, I remember thinking, “I want to be on this guy’s team.” I didn’t know what that meant or what it might look like. I just knew that in some way I wanted to be a part of what God was doing in Dave’s world.
A few days later, I was able to attend a NewThing gathering. In the few short hours I was there I got a taste of the NewThing culture. I heard what the network was about along with what it hoped to accomplish in the way of church planting moving forward. I also met several guys from around the country who were already bought in, and I remember leaving at the end of the night feeling like “these are my people”.
Fast forward to the fall of that same year. Dave and I were on a phone call and I said, “Dave, if there’s any way we can work together with me being in Atlanta and you being in Chicago, I’m in.” He then pitched the idea of me becoming a NewThing network leader. As he described what becoming a network leader meant, I immediately knew I was in. There was no way I could pass up the opportunity to build something in Atlanta through which we could plant churches and help people find their way back to God alongside brothers and sisters who share that same passion.
So in 2014, I took part in the LARN training. This training confirmed for me what I already loved so much about NewThing:
- The network has a singular, unifying focus: the Jesus mission!
- The network is made up of churches from different background, ethnicities, denominations and countries. This lets me know that God is definitely up to something big.
- The importance of relationship and accountability is more than just talk. I can reach out to anyone at anytime for anything. At the same time, the relationships I’ve formed keep me on my toes and on my game. We all need that.
- Leaders like me are empowered. I appreciate the fact that I’m trusted to do what God has called me to do in my city as a part of NewThing.
- Our funds stay local. I love knowing that our network money is available to be used to directly impact our city.
- Humility defines the leadership. More than anything, I love that the guys at the top are humble, Godly men. I hope to be like them when I grow up!
I’m truly honored to be a part of what God is doing in and through NewThing, and I can’t wait to see what He does in Atlanta through our efforts!